Day 107 of 112-LAST TRACK WORKOUT #MARATHONWEEK
Today was probably a sad day for Christy P as it was our last track workout. I, however, do not have the same affection for the track. While I always feel good after leaving the track, the time I spend there is fraught with difficulty. As I said to the track today, “Farewell, for now, my dear track. I do not like you, but I do respect you.”
As is our usual fashion at the track, we surpassed each of our running goals (Perhaps this is why I am so tired all the time at the track. I am running entirely too fast!):
So, in addition to hitting our goals today, Christy’s retelling of some tales hit the spot-right on my funny bone! It’s tough when you laugh at your friend’s misfortune, but, I’m sorry….they were some funny stories. I think she even laughed at a few of them so I don’t think I’m that bad of a friend after all.
So, in addition to hitting our goals today, and laughing , we also got some logistics ironed out, and THANK GOD! Because it’s MARATHON WEEK and there are things I need to plan for!! Because I am a CONTROL FREAK and both excited and a little freaked by Sunday’s little running adventure.
Here are a list of items I emailed her about yesterday, which she was super thrilled to get on the day of her daughter’s high school graduation, and I say thrilled because clearly when your oldest child graduates from high school what is the big deal after all and I’m sure one would rather deal with a litany of items all in an effort to appease one’s friend who is a CONTROL FREAK.
“Anywho, just a few things to go over with you. I don’t need an answer on them right away, just wanted to get them in our conversation que.
1) Tuesday-Are you planning on picking me up tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. for track?
2) Wednesday-I will be at pool by 5:30.
3) Thursday-Even though it’s just a 3 mile tempo run, I’m still glad to do it at 5:30 (I think it’s good to stay in practice of getting up early since Sunday will be an early day too!). I assume in your usual capacity as route master you’ll come up with something fantastic! I’ll meet you wherever you’d like.
4) Thursday evening-Looking forward to dinner out!
5) Friday-we talked about swimming on this day instead of spinning, but it is actually supposed to be a REST day, so I’m going to take advantage of that and not even swim.
6) Saturday-What time shall we arrive at your place? What do you want us to bring. I thought at your place on Saturday, we could discuss Sunday logistics, i.e., I was thinking you’d arrive at my house and we could walk to the start-but what time do you want to do this? We can also talk to Lynne, Dan, and Doug about where we might want them to hook up with us on the course for fuel, etc. After riding the course yesterday, I think Doug will have a good idea where it will be easiest to hook up with us and to balance that with what we’ll need.
7) Sunday-We talked about you coming back to the house around 1:30/2:00, yes?”
In addition to those logistics, I have confirmed, for myself, the following KEY items:
- How I will be wearing my hair. Actually, now that I think about it at this very moment, I decided today I might have another option to explore. So I’ll have to update you later. Aren’t you on the edge of your seat about that now?!?!? Don’t you love me for giving you something to look forward to? Hey, what can I say? I’m a giver.
- The clothes I will be wearing (Sadly, I had to “upsize” my shirt today. I have two shirts that are the same, except one is a Medium and one is a Small. The Medium one I wore last year, when I was a little thicker. The Small I bought this year in the winter at the height of my thinness. I wore the Small on Sunday for the 24 mile bike ride, but whilst walking around upstairs today it felt a little snug, and thus…the upsize. Just what every woman wants heading into a marathon-the realization that she can only seem to lose weight when she is not training for a marathon.)
- The jewelry I will wear. I am not a fancy person, but based on what I look when my hair is all off my face, and regardless of whether I switch up my “hair-do” or not, I’ll likely have hair pulled off my face, I appreciate the adornment of jewelry. I have two 26.2 necklaces that I can wear-silver and gold. I decided to go with the gold! Hello! Gold is #1, Silver is #first looser! OK. Well, that’s not why really at all. My grandmother, who was a very sweet woman, and an athlete herself-played on the Armada Tiger’s Women’s Basketball Team in the mid 1920s-purchased the 26.2 charm for me for Christmas a few years back. It was one of her first Internet purchases. Sweet old Ruthie! Anywho, I will be wearing the gold 26.2 charm on the gold necklace my parents gave me in 1982 for my confirmation (the irony here is amazing), and then the gold earrings that I was the lucky enough to receive when she died.
So there you have it! These are the things that are swimming through my head with 4 days, 12 hours, and 26 minutes left until I pull the trigger and run this beast and conquer these hilly roads!
Carry on friends, carry on.