Skip to content


This week our long run was another 20 miler.  It was our 4th of 5 loooooong 20 mile runs.  Actually, that’s not entirely how I feel about it.  At this point, it really doesn’t matter if the schedule calls for 15, 18 or 20.  It kinda all feels the same.

It’s long. We gotta do it. We do it.  It’s done.

But, wait.  Let’s back up.  Last night Tom and I joined our friends Dave and Patrick at HARC’s annual Dining For Dollars Fundraiser at Zingerman’s Roadhouse.  I think I’m there a bit too much because one of the bartenders asked if I wanted her to take my picture so I could post it on Facebook.  Of course, I indulged her (me) so that I would have evidence of my good time to show you guys here on the blog.


Yes, I said I wasn’t going to drink anything alcoholic.  No, that didn’t end up happening.  I actually had 2 glasses of wine during the course of the evening.  Luckily I was hydrating very well all day so there were no adverse side effects on the run today :  )

The other fortunate thing is that I HAD TO overeat carb load for the run this morning.  There were three choices for our entrée.  A beef, a chicken and a veg.  Normally, I would have gone with the veg but I wasn’t thinking it wouldn’t be substantial enough to power me through 20.  So, I went with the fried chicken.  Mind you I don’t think I’ve ever ordered fried chicken at a restaurant.  Wow it was fantastic!

Here’s my chicken:

Mmmmmm. Buttermilk fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and mustard cole slaw!

Here’s Patrick’s veg:

Spring vegetables with pesto over a puff pastry box

Not pictured, Dave and Tom’s beef (okay, that just doesn’t sound right) but it was beautiful and delicious too! (and that sounds even more wrong….I’m going to quit while I’m ahead.

Great company, great food, great wine and incredible dessert:

To. Die. For.

We got home from the shin dig at about 9:30.  I was stuffed, still well hydrated and tired. I hit the hay and was feeling pretty good when the alarm went off at 5:00 for the 6:00 departure time.

Here we are – the pre-run photo.

Matchy, matchy.

It actually felt pretty good today.  Temps were pretty perfect, humidity was low, precipitation was not a factor and the sun was shining!!  The training plan called for an average pace of 10:14.  I hit 9:56 and I think KG was somewhere in the 9:40s.  Once again she kicked it up at the end.  I am so happy she is feeling good enough to do this!  I, on the other hand, was just happy to dial in, keep the pace steady and enjoy the fact that I. WAS. NOT. MISERABLE.  Amazing. We typically finish our long runs on Huron River Drive.  At one point I looked behind me and saw this.

Absolutely stunning view.  Unfortunately, that wasn’t what I was looking at.

This was my view:

 This was about a mile from the end of the run.  I was tired but feeling pretty good.  We walked about .5 mile after we finished 20 to get back to my house.  I went through the usual drill: Out of wet clothes, gulp down 8 oz of chocolate milk, prepare ice bath, make hot tea, enter ice bath, shiver and shake uncontrollably, stay in ice for 15 minutes, get out of wet clothes again, unthaw, get into hot shower, drink a tall glass of water and then this morning I had to get ready for work. I was refreshed, clean and ready to work by noon.  Kinda crazy that my long run is behind me and it’s only Thursday.

I’ll be running Ready, Set, Fly on Sunday.  Last year I won my age group.  NBD.  No Pressure!  Check back in on Sunday to see how I did this year!

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: