Day 41 of 112-Xtrain/Swimming-#thistooshallpass
I am at the point now where I feel like starting each blog posting with DISCLOSURE is me being annoyingly unwitty. So I am no longer “disclosing.”
Workout: Monday, April, 9, 5:40 a.m.
Posting: Tuesday, April 10, 7:52 p.m. (23 minutes until University of Arkansas press conference regarding today’s firing of head football coach Bobby Petrino for not “disclosing” the details surrounding the events of his motorcycle accident with a 25-year old female coworker on the back of his bike. Hmmmm, I said I wouldn’t disclose, I didn’t say I wouldn’t judge).
I said to Doug last night, “What am I going to say in my blog today? Today I was supposed to swim. So I went to the YMCA and swam.” He said, “Yes, say that.”
Today I was supposed to swim. So I went to the YMCA and swam.
This is what I felt and looked like when I left for the YMCA, i.e., semi-brimming with enthusiasm. Vacation wasn’t what I thought it would be and so I hoped getting back into a regular routine would help snap my head in shape and get me back into the training game.
This is what I felt like when I saw Christy walk into the pool at 6:03 a.m., i.e., Yeah! It’s so great to be back with my training buddy. All is right with the world (Diclosure-this is an old photo-but it is what I felt like).
This is what I felt and looked like at the end of the day at 9:25.
Day 41 of the training, week 6—I believe I am plateauing. I am exhausted. I am drained of all enthusiasm. Why am I doing this?
I believe part of this is due to vacation the week prior:
- Different routine.
- Running in temps 20 degrees higher than what I am used to.
- Running 20 miles and 16 miles 4 days apart.
- Trouble sleeping and not in my own bed.
- Travel time (airplane and car).
I believe part of it is due to the work day on Monday. It wasn’t overwhelming, it wasn’t taxing, but I worked straight through the whole day. Yeah, I know; people do this all the time. And I’m not sayin’ it’s rocket science, but I was tired.
I believe it is also due to the amount of crap food I have been eating over the past week:
- I had an ice cream sundae (vanilla ice cream, Hershey’s chocolate sauce, Spanish peanuts, and whipped topping) the previous 7 days in a row.
- Fruits and vegetables have not been a main stay of my diet for a few weeks.
- I went “shopping” at 7-11 yesterday to get cat food (not for me). Here is what I came home with and ate right away, right before dinner: an entire bag of cheddar pop corn, a Diet Pepsi, and a mini bowl of Cocoa Crispies.
What I believe most of all? This too will pass, and by the middle of next week-I’ll be back.
Carry on, friends. Carry on.
PS Today’s photos have been “Instagrammed” in honor of Instagram co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger who sold their company Instagram on Monday to Facebook for ONE BILLION DOLLARS. Instagram has less than 12 employees.