Skip to content


Good Morning!

Let’s rewind to Tuesday night.  Like in the middle of the night.  If you recall, Tuesday is Track day night-grrrr.  The track makes my legs  the stubs tired.  The track is doing its job very well.  Kristi G and I may have let the track have its way with us a bit too much.  Our pace called for approx 8:00/ mile broken down over various distances with rest intervals sprinkled in between.  I think we pushed the stubs a bit much.  We actually ran at about a 7:40 pace for many of the intervals.  Fast forward to 2:00 a.m. Wednesday morning.  The stubs were not happy.  They were very, very sore and tired.  I didn’t think it was the appropriate time to inform them that we had to swim 1200 yards in approximately 3 hours.  So I avoided the conversation by hobbling out of bed, popping 2 ibuprofen, drinking a big glass of water, and getting back into bed with the hopes of being able to fall back asleep relatively quickly.  Much to my surprise, my tactic worked!  It worked until we jumped into the chilly pool water at the Y.  The stubs were on to me and they were not happy.  They fought me for a bit.  Fortunately, they gave up after about 400 yards as they knew their fight was a lost cause.  We were going to complete 1200 yards of swimming whether they liked it or not.  They do understand that my mind is bigger and stronger than they are.  Once they understood their place in the pecking order we settled into a nice little swim, banged out 1200 yards and were finished in time for Kristi G to drive her sister and niece to the airport at 6:30 a.m.

Me: 1, The Stubs: 0  


Last night I attended a monthly networking event for work.  Brag Ann Arbor hosts an after hours event,  the second Wednesday of each month.  I usually limit myself to 1 beer because I am almost always running on Thursday morning.  Yesterday, was gorgeous – 76 degrees and sunny!  The unseasonable weather brought a lot of folks out to The Quarter Bistro for after hours.  There were lots of people there that don’t usually make it to this event.  I chatted with lots of customers and friends.  Everyone was in a jolly mood (I think you know where this is headed….) So, instead of my usual 1 beer, I made and exception (after my arm had been twisted by several people – ok, not really) and had 2 beers.  To combat the impending dehydration that I knew the beer would cause, I also drank lots and lots of water.  It was fun.  It was worth it.  When I got home I got a message from Kristi G that she was not going to be able to run in the morning because she was still and work and thought she would be there until about midnight.  Yikes!  Who can work for 15 hours straight?  Not me!  Thank God I own my own business and don’t have to act all crazy and super-human like that girl does.  The question then became should we run after work or go our separate ways and do our own thing for our Thursday Tempo Run.  I have an AAPSEF Board meeting tonight and then an open house to attend at University Lending Group immediately after.  Running tonight just wasn’t going to work for me.  Ok, no problem, I can do this training thing on my own…..

This is me. Solo. 7:00 a.m. No KG by my side. So sad.

Alarm goes off at 5:00 a.m. Perfect.  Just like any other Thursday.  Get dressed in running clothes, feed dogs and cats, start a load of laundry, drink a glass of water, put on my Garmin.  Wait.  Low Battery.  Huh?  How could that be?  Now I start to worry that my Garmin will die on my run and the only thing worse than me dying on my run is my Garmin dying on my run.  Ok, so I have 3 options.  1. I can go to the Y and run on the treadmill because that will track my mileage and pace. VETO. 2. I can run Garmin-less and just guestimate if I am hitting the prescribed splits -VETO.  3. Finally, since I don’t have to meet anyone at any particular time, I can plug my Garmin in with the hopes that 5 minutes of juice will give it another bar or two of life.  Yes, option 3 is definitely, the best option.  So, as I’m sitting waiting for the charge….tapping my fingers and everything….I think I notice a little lightning in the sky.  Wait. Lightening. Huh? How could that be?  Oh, it’s Spring you say and we tend to get a few storms this time of year?  Well, I say it’s not Spring for another week and we shouldn’t be having to deal with lightning until then.  Option time again.  I can go to the Y and run on the treadmill because surely the lightning can’t get me if I’m inside. – VETO.  You see, the lightning was very high up in the sky – I couldn’t even see it touch down – not even way off in the distance.  Besides, I would rather run alone, get abducted by a family of deer and get struck by lightening that run on that damn treadmill for 7 miles. Decision made.  Garmin still shows only one bar of life but I’ve put this run off long enough.  Let’s go stubs.

The great news is that it was 55 degrees with very little wind and I ran in shorts. 

I love running with Kristi G,  I love running with the long run group but I also enjoy running solo every once in a while.  7 miles to sort out thoughts.  7 miles to push myself or reign myself in.  7 miles to enjoy the fact that I can run and I love to run.  7 miles to do something just for me.   These 7 miles were to be a 1 mile warm up, 5 miles at long tempo pace (9:14) and 1 mile cool down.  I was doing great and hitting everything if not running a bit faster than I should and then BAM, at mile 4 my Garmin died.  

Dead Garmin

You know what? I changed my mind. I would rather have my Garmin die on a run than die myself.  Since I was still clearly alive, even though my little buddy G, wasn’t I had to run miles 4 -7  by feel.  I think I did ok.  I may have slowed down a bit but no one will ever know because I was alone and there was nothing recording my distance or pace.  Wow, what a concept.  A solo run with no regard for distance or pace.  Sigh……..that was nice.  Also, I didn’t get abducted by the family of deer and  I didn’t get struck by lightning.  That, my friends, is what’s called a good run!  Enjoy your Thursday.

One Comment Post a comment
  1. Great post! I am getting ready to head out for my “Thursday a.m. tempo run” here at 6:24 p.m. on Friday night and I decided to read the post as motivation! And it worked! Hell….if you can drink two beers, down some water, take some ibus, swim 1200 yards, and still be happy at the end of your run (I suspect that the not getting kidnapped by the family of deers is what put you over the top on the happy richter scale), then I can certainly run this run faced with the prospect of 1) Getting lost on north campus 2) I could really stand to curl up on the couch and fall asleep right now 3) Do I really need a 3?

    March 16, 2012

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: